Monday 7 October 2013

Reviews for The Last Eagle.

Several reviews for my Historical Adventure novel The Last Eagle have come in and I couldn't be more pleased:

From William Scott:

I discovered this book in one of the Goodreads discussion groups and decided to give it a try. Billed as an action adventure, this book really delivers the goods. From the first chapter to the last, I was pulled into a flurry of activity that made putting the book down nearly impossible.
I enjoyed the fact that it used traditional aspects of the genre without feeling stale or obvious. The main character is your classic hero thrust into adventure and intrigue, with his trusty aid by his side. They are set upon by enemy agents as they cross Europe, eventually facing a deadly adversary. The use of the Russian Revolution as a backdrop was a welcome change from the standard and I really found myself emerged in the era.
I really enjoyed this self-published book and plan on reading further works by the author.


From R. Brune:

I found this book through the GoodKindle site, read the free excerpt available on Amazon, and decided to take a chance. I'm glad I did, although not without some reservations (which I'll discuss below.) BLUF: The Last Eagle is an adventure novel in the style of Clive Cussler or Ted Bell (two of my favorite writers). The author has a great story going, with interesting characters, and has obviously done his research. Overall, I recommend it.


So what was good? As mentioned before--the characters. The main character, Christopher Sheppard, enters the plot through the time-honored genre convention of being the unexpected last choice to go on a dangerous mission. With him goes his driver (and former wartime subordinate), Harry Campbell. Sheppard has grown up with the sort of Continental upbringing that all good 20th-century adventurers should have, and he takes to the mission like a natural, although not without many (realistically portrayed) reservations. Along the way, he meets people who help him, who hinder him, and still he prevails. The plot moves fast and furiously, and the reader can't help but be swept up in the ride. There are enough predictable turns to satisfy genre conventions, and enough unpredictable twists to satisfy readers who read a lot of adventure stories (such as this reader!) I don't want to give too much away, but suffice it to say, the book caught and held my attention to the very end.

Review



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.